In a weekly post, we'll take a look around the AL West — what's happened so far, and what's on tap in the coming days.
1. Texas Rangers (31-22) — The Rangers have gone 4-2 since this time last week and won 7 of 10 to put them in first place a half-game ahead of the Mariners. Since being swept by Oakland, the Rangers have now won four straight series and are playing really good baseball even in Rougned Odor's absence to serve his seven-game suspension. Next up: Friday, 7:05 p.m., vs. Seattle Mariners.
2. Seattle Mariners (30-22) — The Mariners are now without ace Felix Hernandez for at least the next two weeks after he was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a calf strain. They still have other arms but they're now missing their top one. They've won just five of their last 10 games. Next up: Tonight, 8:10 p.m., at San Diego Padres.
Connecting you to your favorite North Texas sports teams as well as sports news around the globe.
3. Houston Astros (25-29) — Look who's heating up. Could it be too little too late? Of course not, but it's still a big hole they've dug themselves in. They've now won five straight and are looking to sweep the Diamondbacks today. Next up: Today, 1:10 p.m., vs. Arizona Diamondbacks.
4. Oakland Athletics (25-29) — The A's have also won five straight games but now have to deal with another red-hot team. Something has to give. Next up: Friday, 7:10 p.m., at Houston Astros.
5. Los Angeles Angels (24-29) — The Angels are now in last place, and that deserves a hearty belly laugh. Couldn't happen to a better group of guys. Next up: Friday, 6:05 p.m., at Pittsburgh Pirates.