Woman Burned by ‘Flaming Queso' Sues Tex-Mex Restaurant: Report

A 27-year-old woman is suing an Austin-area restaurant after she was severely burned by its flaming queso, a report says.

The Austin American Statesman reports Erika Saenz was eating queso at Dos Salsas Cafe in Cedar Park on May 20 when the dish exploded, leaving her with "life-altering burns," according to her lawyer.

The appetizer is typically served after the waiter sprays a flammable chemical on the dish, sparking a small fire.

Saenz's lawsuit claims the fire "went sideways and engulfed (the victim) in flames." She was treated at a burn unit in San Antonio but will need plastic surgery, her attorney told the Statesman.

Saenz is seeking more than $1 million in damages.

The restaurants manager did not immediately answer calls for comment, the report said.

Contact Us