Texas Teen Loses Part of Leg When Sparklers Explode

A Texas teenager who lit approximately 180 sparklers that were taped together needed to have part of his leg amputated and suffered burns after the sparklers exploded.

The family of 15-year-old Rowdy Radford said he also may lose his vision due to Saturday's accident.

Matagorda County sheriff's Sgt. James Orr said Tuesday that the teen was at a home in the Gulf Coast community of Sargent when he wrapped the sparklers together.

"I just want this out, I want everybody to see this so they'll know what happened, don't let their kids do this. It's not worth it," Wendy Smith, Radford's mother, said.

Orr says family members heard an explosion and rushed outside to find the injured boy with his left leg nearly severed.

Orr says Radford was transported by helicopter to a Houston hospital, where he remains hospitalized.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us