Gunman Who Opened Fire Inside Duncanville Fieldhouse Identified

No children were harmed when a man opened fire during summer camps Monday

NBC 5 News

The name of the man who opened fire inside the Duncanville Fieldhouse Monday as 250 kids attended summer camp has been identified.

Duncanville Police and the Dallas County Medical Examiner's Office confirmed the man was 42-year-old Brandon Keith Ned, of Dallas.

"Due to the ongoing investigation being conducted by the Texas Department of Public Safety, Duncanville Police Department will not be releasing any additional information about the suspect or the shooting incident at this time," Duncanville Police said in a statement Tuesday afternoon.

Dallas County Jail
Brandon Keith Ned, 2011 booking photo.

The gunman, police said Monday, was shot by officers during an exchange of gunfire in the gymnasium. Ned was transported to an area hospital where he later died.

Police were called to the fieldhouse at 8:43 a.m. after a report of gunfire. Officers arrived within two minutes and soon after confronted a man armed with a handgun.

Officials said 250 children between the ages of 4 and 14 were attending camps inside the building at the time. None of the children were injured.

Naomi Rodgers, an 18-year-old camp counselor working at the fieldhouse, told NBC 5 Monday that the gunman came to her room and fired a shot through her door, shattering the glass.

"He said if we didn't let him see who he wanted to see he was going to shoot the place up," Rodgers said. "The glass started to fall and I just started to pray then because that's all I could do. I know what happened at Uvalde … and I was like this cannot happen. Not today. Not today."


The family of Brandon Ned told NBC 5 on Wednesday that he did not go to the Duncanville Fieldhouse Monday with the intent to harm anyone.

“He didn’t purposely go there to hurt anyone,” said his brother, DeWayne Ned. “He didn’t go in there to intentionally hurt anyone.”

The family says Ned suffered mental health issues and was having an episode of paranoia when he was approached by a camp staffer.

Relatives said he rode in a friend’s car to the fieldhouse so she could drop off her daughter at camp, then went inside looking for her.

“When guys approached him – aggressively or not – that’s what triggered him to pull out the gun. He was paranoid,” said his brother.

Contact Us