Fort Worth Officer Injured in Gun Battle Discharged From Hospital

After resting at home, injured Fort Worth officer to continue rehabilitation

A Fort Worth police officer shot multiple times during a gunbattle was escorted home by his colleagues Tuesday after being released from a Fort Worth hospital almost two months after he was wounded.

Officer Matt Pearce's family invited the public to come and show their support for him as he left JPS Hospital.

He was greeted by a throng of supporters that included civilians, hospital staff, dozens of police officers, Mayor Betsy Price and Fort Worth Police Chief Joel Fitzgerald.

Pearce spoke in a Facebook video before he left the hospital.

"I truly believe I live in the best community on the face of the Earth," he said. "I believe this is really a miracle. They didn't give me very good odds to survive these injuries and here I am -- walking, talking, getting ready to go home."

Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price talks about Officer Matt Pearce leaving the hospital and Officer Anthony White with the Fort Worth Police Officer’s Association reads a statement on behalf of Pearce’s family and JPS Health Network CEO Robert Earley discuss providing care to Officer Pearce.

Pearce was shot March 15 pursuing a person wanted on a felony warrant and was injured in a gun battle that left the suspect, Ed McIver Sr., dead. McIver was wanted on aggravated assault charges and for jumping bail when gunfire broke out as he fled with his adult son.

Fort Worth Police Chief Joel Fitzgerald discusses Officer Matt Pearce’s discharge from JPS Hospital two months after he was shot in a gun battle.

McIver's 20-year-old son, Ed McIver Jr., has been charged with attempted capital murder, evading arrest and unlawful carrying of a weapon in connection with Pearce's shooting. The investigation into who shot Pearce, McIver senior or junior, was not immediately determined.

Chopper 5 shows Fort Worth Police Officer Matt Pearce as he’s discharged from JPS Hospital and escorted home, two months after he was injured in a gun battle.

Police said Pearce will be sent home to rest before continuing with his rehabilitation in Houston.

NBC 5's Scott Gordon contributed to this report.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us