Teacher, Students Overcome by Fumes After Science Experiment - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Teacher, Students Overcome by Fumes After Science Experiment

Officials say hospitalization a precaution



    Science Experiment Hospitalizes Teacher, 5 Students

    A science lab experiment at Arlington High School sent a teacher and five students to the hospital Wednesday afternoon. (Published Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2012)

    A teacher and five students from Arlington High School were hospitalized Wednesday after being overcome by fumes during a science experiment in class.

    At about 1 p.m., the teacher and students were working in a lab on the first floor when they began to experience headaches, nausea and dizziness. According to the Arlington Independent School District, the teacher and students were hospitalized as a precaution.  They are all in stable condition.

    Officials have not said what chemicals were being used.

    Firefighters and the HAZMAT team investigated the classroom after the incident. The school was not evacuated, no other students were affected and all other classes completed their normal schedule.

    Parents picking up their children after school will only be able to do so on the east and west sides of the campus.  The north side, along Park Row Drive, has been reduced to one lane to accommodate emergency vehicles working at the school.

    NBC 5's Mola Lenghi and Randy McIlwain contributed to this report.