Dallas County Health and Human Services reported its first vaping-related death Tuesday.
County officials said the patient was a teenager with chronic underlying medical conditions. Further information about the teen or vaping products used was not released.
"Reporting a death in a teen due to EVALI (E-cigarette, or Vaping, Associated Lung Injury) is so tragic", said DCHHS Director Dr. Philip Huang "We are seeing that severe lung damage, and even death, can occur with just short term use of these products."
Get connected to a healthier life.
County health officials said, as of Dec. 30, 2019, DCHHS had received reports of 53 confirmed or probable cases of EVALI in patients hospitalized in Dallas County facilities, including one teen who reported just starting vaping one month ago.
DCHHS said e-cigarettes work by producing an aerosol by heating liquids which typically contain nicotine, flavorings, or other chemicals which are inhaled, a practice referred to as "vaping." Marijuana and other drugs can also be delivered by e-cigarettes.
Nationally, a total of 2,561 cases of hospitalized e-cigarette, or vaping, product use-associated lung injury or deaths have been reported including 55 deaths in 27 states and the District of Columbia.
Texas has reported 228 confirmed cases and two deaths associated with EVALI.
If you are concerned about your health after using an e-cigarette or vaping product, contact your healthcare provider or local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222