A fifth-generation Texan, Lucy Wrubel made her DJ debut a long way from home. In historic, romantic Rome, to be exact, at a tiny disco at the beginning of the millennium. An auspicious start, to be sure, and now ten years and countless parties later, she’s back in Big D, spinning at some of the most talked-about events in town.
Who better to imagine a soundtrack for ringing in a whole new decade than this top Mix Mistress? Nobody, that’s who, and when we asked Wrubel for a party playlist for New Year’s 2010, we got twice what we bargained for.
When choosing tunes for any event, “ask yourself two questions,” Wrubel explains. “Who specifically is listening, and how do you want them to feel?” With that in mind, she tailored her lists to a couple of different New Year’s parties. The first, she imagines, is a champagne-soaked gourmet dinner chez toi. Load up the following in your iPod and you’ll have the perfect soundtrack for a night of dining and toasting with a tableful of close friends.
Lucy Wrubel’s 2010 Dinner Party Mix
- La Ritournelle (Mr. Dan’s Magic Wand Mix), Sébastien Tellier
- Is You Is Or Is You Ain’t My Baby, Dinah Washington
- L-O-V-E, Joss Stone
- Into My Soul, Gabin featuring Dee Dee Bridgewater
- The Look of Love, Sergio Mendes featuring Fergie
- Maria Moita, Carlos Lyra
- Mirando a las Muchachas, Mexican Institute of Sound
- Right As Rain, Adele
- Sonido Total, The Pinker Tones
- Shoo Shoo Baby, Dinah Washington
- Spinning Wheel, Jack Jones
- Alpha Beta GaGa (Mark Ronson Remix), Air
- You Know I’m No Good, Amy Winehouse
- Straight To…Number One, Touch & Go
- He Was Really Sayin’ Somethin’, Bananarama
- Whatever Lola Wants, Sarah Vaughan
- Beggin’, Madcon
- Fidelity, Regina Spektor
- Bluebird, One Self
- Lights Out, Santigold
Stay tuned for tomorrow’s list - it’s all about a blowout!