NBC5 Forecast: Icy Roads & Snow Possible Tonight

The weather will start off quiet for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, but get quite active late in the day. Temperatures will climb to the mid 50s before a strong cold front arrives this afternoon. As the cold front passes by your location, the wind will shift around to the north and the temperature will begin to fall with a chance of light rain.This evening light rain will chance to freezing rain, leading to slick spots on the roads. The freezing rain will change to light snow overnight.A Winter Weather ADVISORY has been issued for central parts of North Texas ... and will go into effect 6 P.M. Monday through noon Tuesday. The advisory DOES include both Dallas and Fort Worth. In the advisory area rain showers will mix with and change over to some light sleet Monday evening ... then change over to light snow Monday night. Very light accumulation is expected and a medium impact on travel can be anticipated. Some slick spots will develop on roads overnight.A Winter Storm WARNING has been issued for areas east and south of DFW. This watch DOES NOT include Dallas or Fort Worth. A more impactful situation will unfold Monday night and Tuesday as the storm system will have more moisture to work with. Rain will mix with and change over to freezing rain early Tuesday morning. It could stay as freezing rain long enough for a some ice accumulation before the changeover to snow takes place. An inch or two of snow will also be possible around Athens, Canton, and Corsicana.Although there's been a shift farther south in the overall impacts on North Texas, you cannot let your guard down. Roads will still be icy in spots in/around DFW for the Tuesday morning commute. If you are traveling south or will be trying to drive in areas east and south of DFW on Tuesday, please plan on roads being extremely slippery and dangerous. MLK DAY: Increasing clouds with a strong cold front arriving in the afternoon. Windy with falling temperatures and a 40% chance for rain showers developing late PM. The rain will mix with and change over to freezing rain, sleet, and snow Monday night and early Tuesday morning. Some light accumulation possible. High: 54. Wind: S 5-10 shifting to the north 15-25 mph. TONIGHT: 60% chance of ice and snow. Low: 23. Wind: N 10-20 mph. TUESDAY: A 30% chance for snow showers and flurries in the morning. Some very light accumulation possible. Breezy and frigid with decreasing clouds in the afternoon. Low: 23. High: 29. Wind: N 10-20 mph. WEDNESDAY: Mostly sunny but very cold. Low: 16. High: 34. Wind: NE 5-10 mph. THURSDAY: Partly cloudy and chilly. Low: 23. High: 41. Wind: SE 10 mph. FRIDAY: Partly cloudy, breezy, and slightly warmer. Low: 32. High: 55. Wind: S 10-20 mph. SATURDAY: Partly cloudy, breezy, and mild. Low: 45. High: 66. Wind: S 10-20 mph. SUNDAY: Mostly cloudy with a 30% chance of showers. Low: 48. High: 60. Wind: NW 10-15 mph. MONDAY: Sunny. Low: 37. High: 57. Wind: NW 10 mph. TUESDAY: Partly cloudy. Low: 36. High: 58. Wind: S 10-15 mph. WEDNESDAY: Partly cloudy. Low: 42. High: 60. Wind: S 10 mph.  Continue reading...

Copyright The Dallas Morning News
Contact Us