NBC 5 invites you to join the celebration at Earth Day Dallas on Saturday, April 20, and Sunday, April 21, at Fair Park in Dallas. Be inspired to lead a more sustainable lifestyle with exhibits, entertainment and education for all ages.
Earth Day Dallas is a free, two-day festival that seeks to elevate environmental awareness and influence the way North Texans think, live and work. Learn how green lifestyle choices can lower your cost of living, improve your health, and help save the environment.
The heart of the festival is the Eco Expo, where exhibitors will use their presence to promote their achievements as green leaders. They will also teach you how to take environmentally responsible action by better utilizing available resources, switching to eco-friendly products, or joining their organizations.
While you are there, please stop by the NBC 5 booth, which will be located in the Automobile Building, and meet NBC 5 anchors and reporters and The Minions from the Despicable Me 2 movie.
Some of the highlights of Earth Day Dallas will include:
- A Family Zone with all-day entertainment and activities for kids and families.
- The Sustainable Home & Garden Series– hands-on workshops with environmentally friendly materials.
- Tree climbing under the guidance of professionals with Tree Climbers International. Anyone over the age of 5 can climb historic live oak trees at Fair Park.
- Plastiki – The catamaran made of more than 12,000 recycled plastic bottles on display Saturday and Sunday. This boat traveled 8,000 miles across the Pacific Ocean in 128 days in 2010, with the hope of raising awareness about the harmful effects of single-use plastics.
- Trashed – A documentary about waste and the environment, shedding light on what happens to all that trash we produce. The film was featured at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival.
- DFW Truck Farm 5K Fun Run – Sunday morning fun run starts at 8:30 a.m. Proceeds go to the DFW Truck Farm, a traveling program that teaches kids and the community about growing local food and gardening in small spaces.
- Leilani Munter - Professional racecar driver and environmental activist will be speaking Saturday afternoon.
- Additional features: Cast of Wicked, City of Dallas Environmental Mascots, chicken coop building demonstration, tons of eco-friendly vehicles, dance performances, Yoginos (youth yoga), lots of delicious and organic food and drink options and much more!
For more information, visit www.earthdaydallas.org.
Earth Day Dallas
April 20 & 21
10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Fair Park – Dallas
Sponsored in part by: