Video Shows E-Cigarette Explode in Man's Pants in NYC | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Video Shows E-Cigarette Explode in Man's Pants in NYC

"It looked like he had fireworks in his pocket"



    (Published Thursday, Nov. 24, 2016)

    A man working at Grand Central Terminal suffered leg and hand burns after his e-cigarette exploded in his pants pocket, officials say.

    Central Cellars assistant manager John Lee said it looked like fireworks exploding when the vaporizer pen suddenly blew up in his colleague's pants on Wednesday morning. 

    Lee said he smelled the fumes before he heard the explosion.

    "And then I looked, and it looked like he had fireworks in his pocket," he said.

    "He went to pull the cigarette out of his pocket and burned his hand, his nail. There were some some projectiles during the explosion - I ducked out and we all evacuated...I guess these e-cigarettes are a dangerous thing."

    MTA spokesman Aaron Donovan said the man was taken by a private ambulance service to a local hospital. 

    Donovan said the incident had no impact on train service at the transit hub.

    The e-cigarette victim, Otis Gooding, was in a stable condition in hospital on Wednesday afternoon, according to his attorney, Sanford Rubenstein.

    Rubenstein said his client was being treated for third-degree burns.

    Electronic cigarettes and other battery-operated electronic smoking devices occasionally do catch fire.

    Last year, the federal Department of Transportation issued a rule prohibiting passengers from packing e-cigarettes in checked luggage to protect against in-flight fires.