Kitchen Fire to Blame for Dallas High-Rise Apartment Evacuation

Residents allowed to return home just before 3 a.m.

By Elvira Sakmari
|  Monday, Jul 2, 2012  |  Updated 8:59 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
A kitchen fire on the 19th floor forced residents of the Mercantile Place on Main apartments in downtown Dallas to evacuate early Sunday morning.

NBC 5 News

A kitchen fire on the 19th floor forced residents of the Mercantile Place on Main apartments in downtown Dallas to evacuate early Sunday morning.

advertisement

A kitchen fire forced residents of Mercantile Place on Main in downtown Dallas to evacuate their high-rise apartment building early Sunday morning.

Dallas Fire-Rescue received the 911 call just after 1:30 a.m. When firefighters arrived they saw smoke coming from the 19th floor of the apartment building at 1800 Main Street.

Residents were evacuated.

Firefighters made their way into a one-bedroom loft apartment where officials said they put out a small fire that produced more smoke than anything.

Dallas Fire-Rescue said investigators found that a plastic decoration that was left on the electric kitchen stove while one of the burners were turned on.

Because several parties and gatherings were going on at the high-rise, Dallas Fire-Rescue said there were "a couple of hundred people" outside after the evacuation.

No injuries were reported. Residents were allowed to return to their apartments at about 2:45 a.m.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get NBCDFW on Mobile!
Get NBCDFW's free news and weather... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out