Flower Mound Teen Burned Saving Others Returns Home

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Andrew Walling was burned over 30 percent of this boy when he helped four others escape a mobile home explosion caused by a gas leak. The 15-year-old from Flower Mound is home recovering and talks about the ordeal during a hunting trip.

    Flower Mound teenager Andrew Walling is finally back home after spending more than a week in the hospital being treated for burns he suffered in an explosion during a hunting trip.

    "Very few things have ever felt any better then having him home," said his mother Karen Walling.

    Walling went turkey hunting with his grandmother and some of her friends in Coleman, Texas, last weekend. When they were done hunting, they went to a mobile home to make dinner. What they did not know was that there was a gas leak. One of the men went to light the stove and flames shot up.

    Walling went right to the door as it exploded.

    "I was lucky I was able to see it fast enough, the door fast enough, and we were all able to get out of there," said Walling.

    As he opened it, he was blown out, suffering burns on 30 percent of his body. He was reunited with his parents at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas.

    "He said to me, 'Hey mom, I bet you are a lot worse off than I am.' I looked at him and smiled and said, 'I don't think so,'" said Karen Walling.

    She is proud of him for his quick thinking, but not surprised.

    "Now more people in the world know what we already knew about Andrew, and that is a great feeling for him and us," said Karen Walling.