Eighty Years After Bonnie and Clyde Were Killed You Can Visit The Grave of Clyde Barrow

Bonnie and Clyde fans can visit the grave of an original Dallas outlaw

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    Library of Congress
    Photograph shows Clyde Barrow holding Bonnie Parker on one arm, facing front, in front of automobile.

    This Memorial Day weekend North Texans have the rare opportunity to visit the grave of one half of the most notorious couples in American history.

    On the 80th anniversary of the deaths of outlaw lovers Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, the Western Heights Cemetery in Dallas will allow visitors into the cemetery to see Clyde Barrow’s final resting place.

    Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker met while living in Dallas in 1930 and soon the pair made headlines as Depression Era outlaws who committed violent robberies and ruthlessly gunned down several police officers that attempted to arrest the pair as they fled from town to town across the midwest.

    On May 23, 1934 Texas Ranger Francis A. (Frank) Hamer and FBI Special Agent L. A. Kindell tracked the pair to Arcadia, LA. where Bonnie and Clyde were hiding out with Barrow gang member Henry Methvin. Upon learning of the gang’s hideout, Hamer and Kindell ambushed Bonnie and Clyde as they drove to the nearby town of Gibsland, shooting the pair 167 times and ending their 2 year crime spree. The bodies of Bonnie and Clyde were later publicly displayed in their hometown of Dallas before they were buried in their respective family burial plots.

    Clyde Barrow is interred in a family plot at the Western Heights Cemetery with his brother Marvin “Buck” Barrow, who was killed in a shootout with police in Platte City, Missouri in 1933 where the gang was hiding out. Bonnie Parker is buried in northwest Dallas at Crown Hill Memorial Park.

    Located at the intersection of Ft. Worth Avenue and Neal Street in north Oak Cliff, the cemetery will be accessible between 9am and 5pm Saturday May 24th via a pedestrian gate on Neal St. on the east side of the cemetery.