Dallas Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said last week that Tony Romo would be on a “pitch count” in OTAs this week, as he continues to recover from back surgery in December. According to ESPN’s Ed Werder, this means he’ll take around a third of the snaps.
Romo went through two back procedures in an eight-month span last year, but the 34-year-old remains confident that he’ll bounce back. He said last week that he expects to be the Cowboys’ starting quarterback for the foreseeable future.
“There’s no question in my mind, not only am I going to be able to make it through 16 games, I’ll make it through another five years,” Romo told 105.3-FM The Fan, via the Dallas Morning News. “Some people have issues just based on their body alignment and degenerative things, but none of those are my issues. Mine is just something small and I just got hit at the wrong time and that’s part of what happened. If you play football long enough, you’re going to have something.”
The first round of OTAs kick off today and will wrap up on Thursday. The second round begins next Monday.
Stay on top of the latest Dallas Cowboys news with NBCDFW.com. Follow NBC DFW on Facebook or have breaking Cowboys news sent directly to your phone with Blue Star SMS alerts. Text "bluestar" to 622339 (NBCDFW) to subscribe, text HELP for more info, and text STOP to end the subscription. Message and data rates may apply.Read more about it here.