Gunman in Dallas Police Headquarters Shooting Confirmed Dead

Officers engaged in standoff in Hutchins after pursuit; no injuries reported

Dallas police have confirmed the death of the gunman who fired automatic weapons at officers outside Dallas Police Department headquarters before engaging in a standoff from inside an armored vehicle Saturday morning.

Dallas Police Chief David Brown said they think one gunman — later identified as 35-year-old James Boulware — managed to fire shots at multiple locations, despite witness reports of as many as four shooters.

Dallas will now be the focus of attention in efforts to prevent further attacks on police, according to NBC 5 Law Enforcement Expert Don Peritz.

The shootout shattered multiple windows at the headquarters building near the department's information desk. Bullets also pierced the casing surrounding an old helicopter on display in the museum inside.

"I believe we're very blessed officers survived this ordeal," Brown said.

Listen to Dallas police scanner traffic after the attack on Dallas police headquarters early Saturday morning.

Chase, Standoff in Armored Vehicle

After the shooting, Boulware used an armored vehicle to ram a police vehicle before leading officers on a pursuit south on Interstate 45.

The chase culminated in a standoff at a Jack in the Box parking lot along I-45 near Interstate 20 in Hutchins beginning at about 1 a.m. I-45 was shut down and Dallas SWAT was deployed.

Neighbors in the community where the Dallas police attack ended describe the aftermath at the scene. “It’s pretty bad. Real bad. Looks like something you’d see in a movie,” William Davis told NBC 5.

Boulware called 911 and left a long rant and Dallas Police Department Chief David Brown said negotiators called that phone number. Talks continuously broke down when he became agitated and ranted angrily

"The suspect has told our negotiators that we took his child and we accused him of being a terrorist and that he's going to blow us up," Dallas Police Department Chief David Brown said.

Police said Boulware told them he had explosives in the van, which appeared to be outfitted with gun ports in the sides.

Video uploaded to YouTube by user madwho12 shows what Dallas police said were shots fired outside police headquarters on Saturday, June 13, 2015.

The vehicle's engine continued to run until snipers shot at the engine block, according to police. At 5:07 a.m., snipers shot through the vehicle's windshield, possibly kiling Boulware said police.  [[307257601,C]]

Officers would not approach the gunman's vehicle until bomb technicians confirmed it was clear.

"Bomb technicians are deploying robots and plan to detonate specific areas around the van to ensure its not ready to explode," Brown said.

At about 9:30 a.m., police began shooting out the windshield of the vehicle with a .50-caliber gun. [[307256501,C]]

At 11:50 a.m., Chopper 5 heard two explosions and saw a robot near the vehicle's passenger side. Dallas Police Department spokesman Major Max Geron said authorities then found two additional pipe bombs inside the vehicle.

Two detonations at the scene of the standoff in Hutchins. First one small explosion then a second larger explosion 20 seconds later.

Geron confirmed the gunman's death at about 12:50 p.m. He was identified just after 2 p.m.

While trying to detonate a nearby suspcious device just after 1:30 p.m., the van caught fire, Geron said. [[307262861,C]]

Explosive Devices at Dallas Police Headquarters

Police said four bags were discovered in front of Dallas police headquarters shortly after 4 a.m. As a robot picked up the first bag at 4:30 a.m., it exploded. [[307249431, C]]

Police investigated the other three bags and said they found an additional package under a police truck in the parking lot of Dallas Police Headquarters. All seven patrol stations have since been searched and cleared of suspicious packages, Brown said.

No injuries have been reported, according to Dallas police Maj. Max Geron.

Dallas Police Chief David O. Brown’s first update on the shootout and pursuit of suspects Saturday morning.

Forensic units effectively shut down areas surrounding both scenes to collect evidence Saturday afternoon. As a precaution, police evacuated people who live at the Southside on Lamar apartment complex near the headquarters on South Lamar.

Dallas police coordinated with the Mesquite Police Department's bomb squad at Boulware's last known address, according to Brown. ATF agents arrested a man at the Mesquite home at about 11 a.m.

Dallas police officers engaged in a standoff after a pursuit led them to Hutchins following shots fired at the Dallas Police Headquarters.

NBC 5's Elvira Sakmari, Todd L. Davis and Jamie Weiss contributed to this report.

CLICK HERE for more information from our media partners at The Dallas Morning News.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us