13 Children Hospitalized After Possible CO Poisoning

Dallas Fire Rescue responded to a 911 call early Friday morning after several people were believed to have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning due to a cracked vent pipe from a heating unit.

Officials said 17 people lived in the home on the 10700 block of Channel Drive, including 13 children who were also hospitalized.

Firefighters said several people woke up at about 5:30 a.m. experiencing nausea and dizziness. At about 7 a.m., the call to 911 was placed asking for help.

Officials said the kids, all between the ages of 14 months and 13 years old, were taken to Baylor, Methodist and Presbyterian medical centers, where they are undergoing treatment.

"We have a group of people who are extremely fortunate that someone made a well-timed phone call," said Dallas Fire Chief Eddie Burns. "We are fortunate that this situation did not take a turn for the worse -- But it does underscore the importance of having a CO detector in homes or apartments."

The conditions of the children have not been released from the hospital.

Carbon monoxide poisoning incidents peak in Dallas and across the country between November and February.  The Center for Disease Control (CDC) reports that an average of 500 carbon dioxide deaths occurs nationwide annually.  Between the years 1999-2004 CDC reported 148 carbon dioxide deaths in Texas.  Often the cause of these deaths or incidents is faulty heating units or water heaters.

CO detectors can be purchased in most hardware stores for under $20. 

Contact Us