Police Blotter: Mom Stabbed in Park; Man Gunned Down - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Police Blotter: Mom Stabbed in Park; Man Gunned Down



    Police Blotter: Mom Stabbed in Park; Man Gunned Down

    Here's a daily list of recent activities drawing the attention of North Texas law enforcement. List compiled on March 17, 2010.

    A man jogging through east Fort Worth thought he found a treasure during his morning run, but it turned out to be a pipe bomb.  The man thought he had stumbled across a discarded flash light while jogging along Cooks Lane. He picked it up and took it to his home along the 7700 block of Randol Mill Road, where he began disassembling the metal case.  It was then the man discovered what appeared to be a fuse.  The Fort Worth Bomb Squad was dispatched to the scene and is working with the device. An arson investigator confirmed the device was a pipe bomb. As of 11 a.m., the area near Cooks Lane and Randol Mill Road north of Interstate 30 has been blocked off. Read more here.

    A young mother is now paralyzed from the waist down after being attacked in a park. Brandi Todd, 28, was sitting on a park bench and watching her children play at a park in Stephenville on Sunday when a man walked up and stabbed her in the back, police said.  Michael Howard, 42, who was arrested in connection with the attack, is in the Erath County jail.  According to investigators, Howard admitted to attacking Todd, said he is mentally ill and could only say that "something took over" as his reason for the attack.  Police said Howard has a history of mental illness and that he told them he was angry with a mental health care organization for not giving him the help he needed.  A fund for Todd's medical care has been established at Town & Country Bank in Stephenville.

    A Dallas man has died after being gunned down in the street following what appears to be a carjacking gone wrong, police said.  The 56-year-old man, whose name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin, was found in the street near the intersection of Beauchamp and Springview avenues suffering gunshot wounds to his hand, chest and head. He was transported to Baylor Medical Center in Dallas where he later died.  Police said the man's SUV was found at the scene.