The Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage says he wants to represent himself at his upcoming trial.
Fort Hood officials said Wednesday that Maj. Nidal Hasan is seeking to sever ties with his three Army attorneys.
The judge, Col. Tara Osborn, is to consider his request at a hearing next week. She also delayed jury selection to June 5, about a week after it was scheduled to start.
Hasan could face the death penalty if convicted in the attack on the Texas Army post that killed 13 people and wounded more than two dozen others.
In 2011, Hasan cut ties with his previous lead attorney, John Galligan, a civilian who's a retired Army colonel. Galligan has never said why he stopped representing Hasan.
Earlier this week, NBC 5 Investigates revealed that since the 2009 shooting, Hasan has been paid nearly $300,000 in salary from the Army while awaiting trial.