Ben Russell, NBC 5 News
Fire marshals in Denton say the cause of last week's fire at The Selwyn School in Denton was electrical.
Fire marshals in Denton say the cause of last week's fire at The Selwyn School in Denton was electrical, according to the Denton Record Chronicle.
The fire tore through a 50-year-old section of the Selwyn school's main building that houses the lower elementary school classes and Selwyn's administration offices.
Because the building was so old, it did not have a sprinkler system in place.
Fire officials estimate the damage to be around $3 million and, with the smell of smoke still hanging in the air, the community is helping the school get back on its feet.
Tuesday morning, the Denton Independent School District will deliver six portable classrooms -- trailers that will serve as temporary solutions so that school can resume holding classes.
Balfour Beatty, a construction company, will install the ramps and railings leading up to the trailers for free.
The school's headmaster told NBC 5 this fire has been devastating to the students and staff and that beginning Tuesday they will begin to adjust to the new norm.