A week has passed since the Dallas Cowboys opened up their offseason conditioning program at Valley Ranch, and Kyle Orton--who is reportedly considering retirement--remains absent.
Keeping with the team’s stance that they are still confident the veteran will be back in 2014, executive vice president Stephen Jones told the GBAG Nation show on 105.3-FM The Fan on Monday that the team is expecting Orton to attend the mandatory veteran mini-camp beginning on June 17.
“That’s just a situation that we’ll work through,” Jones said, via the Dallas Morning News, “and we expect Kyle, when mandatory practices start and the mandatory things begin, we fully expect Kyle to be there.”
Caleb Hanie, who was signed as a something of an insurance policy, said last week that no one at Valley Ranch seemed to know what Orton was going to do. Jones seemingly corroborated this assessment when asked if he knew what Orton is thinking.
“That’s a good question,” Jones said.
The only evidence that’d suggest Orton is coming back at this point is that, according to Jones, Orton has spoken to members of the coaching staff, including Jason Garrett.
Stay on top of the latest Dallas Cowboys news with NBCDFW.com. Follow NBC DFW on Facebook or have breaking Cowboys news sent directly to your phone with Blue Star SMS alerts. Text "bluestar" to 622339 (NBCDFW) to subscribe, text HELP for more info, and text STOP to end the subscription. Message and data rates may apply.Read more about it here.