Freshmen, the time has finally come. You’ve completed 12 whole years of seemingly endless school days and now freedom waits just around the corner. With only about a month and a half left before your parents drop you off on campus, it’s time to start thinking about purchasing accessories to help you make your dorm room as much as a home away from home as possible. We’ve comprised a list of dorm room must-haves to get you started on your dorm room journey.
1. Mattress Cover: A mattress cover is a must-have for that awfully uncomfortable bed that your dorm room provides. For all the work you’ll be doing, you’ll need the best nights rest you can get and with a mattress cover, your hard dorm room mattress will seem a lot dreamier. Its better to get a Therapeutic Mattress Pad that has a high thread count, the thicker the better. $19.99-$39.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond.
2. Wall Stickers: Turn those boring, off-white walls into something a little more...exciting. The very, very best in Wall Stickers can be found at Modern Wall Graphics. They have a myriad of sizes, shapes, designs, and colors to make your dorm room the most decorated on the floor. The best part is, you don’t have to worry about them getting stuck to the wall. ‘Wall Slicks’ peel off easily without leaving any residue. Perfect!
3. A Huge Rug: If you haven’t stepped foot inside a dorm room before, know that it’s not a good place to be barefoot. Most dorms provide you with a floor that’d be extremely uncomfortable to put your feet on in the morning -- cold, unforgiving tile. With a huge carpeted rug to cover your whole floor, you’ll never have to worry about your feet touching that frigid floor…ever. Pbteen.com has a big selection of regular and designer rugs.
4. Desk Lamp: Studying is inevitable in college (sorry to break it to ya), and even though most rooms are equipped with a lovely fluorescent light, you’ll need something a little brighter and closer to help focus in on your work. Of course, you can do this stylishly with a silicone desk lamp. They come in pink and black at Bed Bath & Beyond, $19.99.
5. Picture Frames: New friends are bound to be made in college, but you can’t forget the old ones! Bring all of your favorite pictures from home and frame them for your desk and wall. The best kinds are collage frames, which allow you to display multiple pictures in one. They come in pink, white, and black for $9.99 at Target.
6. Closet Organizers: Imagine cutting the closet you have now in half. That’s the size of the closet you’ll be getting in your dorm. Space savers are a MUST to make sure you get everything you bring neatly into your room. The best kind for clothes hangs from your closets pole and has space for clothing as well as side pockets for other things. The black gearbox closet organizer has all and is sturdy enough to last for a couple of years. Find it for $14.99 at Bed Bath and Beyond
7. Wall Art: Going along with the wall-decorating theme, wall art will take peoples eyes off of the mundane backdrop and give them an insight into the type of person you are. Dormbuys.com has all types of wall art from inspirational to L.A. pop art, $7.99-$13.99.
8. Bad Air Sponge: Bottom line, you and your dorm mate don’t want to be living in a musty room, causing your clothes and other belongings to smell the same. Bad air sponges are small, quiet, and will get rid of all funky odors that will try to creep into your dorm room. You can find them for $9.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond
These are just a few necessities to get you started in your new home. Remember; make this a place that you want to come to after a long day of school or a crazy night of partying. Happy dorming!