Police Blotter: Fort Worth Police Officer Pinned Between Two Vehicles - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Police Blotter: Fort Worth Police Officer Pinned Between Two Vehicles



    Police Blotter: Fort Worth Police Officer Pinned Between Two Vehicles
    Greg Janda
    Generic Fort Worth Police logo patch on officer's arm.

    Here's a daily list of recent activities drawing the attention of North Texas and Texas law enforcement. List compiled on Sept. 23, 2010.

    Fort Worth Police Officer Pinned Between Two Vehicles
    A Fort Worth police officer is recovering after a freak morning accident. Investigators said the officer had just pulled a driver over onto the shoulder of Granbury Road near Loop 820 when someone driving a semi clipped another vehicle. That vehicle started veering towards the officer. Luckily the driver of that vehicle managed to break before hitting the officer, but the officer was pinned in and had to be taken to the hospital for treatment. 

    Mailed Marijuana Means Time Behind Bars
    Three men who mailed more than half a ton of packaged marijuana through a south Texas post office have been sentenced to federal prison. Prosecutors say the men, who lived in McAllen, pleaded guilty in August 2009 to conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute at least 1,100 pounds of pot. A judge in McAllen on Wednesday sentenced 22-year-old Jose Adan Lopez to five years in prison, while 25-year-old Ernesto Damian Caballero and 34-year-old Heriberto Emmanuel Vera must serve nearly six-year terms. Prosecutors say all three are in the U.S. illegally and face deportation after serving the prison time. The parcels were wrapped in cellophane and surrounded by dried chili peppers in an attempt to mask the smell. The items were mailed through the Progreso post office between March 2008 and May 2009.

    Probation for Mansfield Man Who Was Serving 10 Year Sentence
    A Mansfield man serving 10 years in prison for leaving his toddler alone with his psychotic wife, who drowned their son, has been put on probation and released. Prosecutors say 56-year-old Michael Maxon appears to be the first husband held criminally responsible in Texas cases involving mentally ill women who killed their children. Maxon in April was convicted of intentionally abandoning his 1-year-old son, Alex, when he left the couple's home in 2006 to run errands. A judge in 2008 found Valeria Maxon not guilty by reason of insanity in the drowning. She was sent to a state mental hospital. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported Thursday that Michael Maxon and his psychologist testified Sept. 9 that he now accepts responsibility for his son's death. A judge then ordered probation.

    One Dead in Euless Hit and Run
    One person is dead after a morning accident in Euless. Police said the victim was walking in the roadway in the 600 block of West Euless Boulevard when he was struck and killed. The victim is 58-year-old Richard Neal, of Euless. Late Thursday afternoon Christopher Holland was arrested in Watauga on an unrelated charge. Police said his girlfriend called officers after she found damage on her 2001 Jeep Cherokee. When officers examined the vehicle they said they found damage consistent with that of one involving a car and a person. They were able to gather enough evidence to obtain an warrant for Hollands arrest in the hit and run.