TxDOT Kicks Off ‘Click it or Ticket' Campaign

The 14th annual Texas Department of Transportation “Click it or Ticket” campaign kicked off at Dallas City Hall Thursday.

During the campaign, which runs through May 31, law enforcement officers will increase effort to ticket vehicle occupants who are not wearing seat belts. In 2014, more than 2,000 people in Texas were killed or seriously injured in wrecks where they were not wearing their seat belts.

"We have about 90 percent seat belt use in the state of Texas,” said TxDOT district engineer Kelly Selman. “If we could get more people, the other 10 percent, to buckle up, we could save a lot of lives."

TxDOT officials are traveling across the state to talk about the campaign and displaying a new sign to remind drivers about it. The display is an oversized car windshield with a driver — who's wearing cowboy boots — smashing through the glass.

Selman said he hopes people will see this sign and remember to put on their seat belt.

Contact Us