Oncor released the following checklist for keeping yourself safe during times of inclement weather.
- Power outages 1-888-313-4747
- Downed lines 9-1-1
Storm Safety Tips:
- Stay away from downed power lines. Report them immediately to 911.
- Keep an emergency kit handy—Be sure batteries, flashlights and battery-powered radios are accessible during storms, just in case the power goes out.
- Don’t touch an object that is in contact with power lines—That includes tree limbs. Remember tree limbs can conduct electricity.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors shut. Food will stay six to nine hours in a refrigerator without spoiling. Frozen foods will keep about 24 hours.
- If you choose to use a portable generator during a power outage, make sure the main circuit breaker in the electric service panel box is in the OFF position or, in older electric service panel boxes, that the main fuse block is removed. This is necessary to prevent your generator's electricity from going back into the power lines in the street and potentially endangering the lives of line crews and other emergency workers.