The competition includes a SONIC-based trivia show that takes six crew members from each location and asks them questions based on operational proceedures specific to their positions.
While we didn't get any sample questions, we'll assume "How do you make the fries?" might be on that list...though that question could be deceptively simple. Carhops and fry cooks told the Dallas Morning News SONIC bosses want you to be specific.
"You can't say ‘a mint.' You have to say ‘one Sonic mint.' And you can't say ‘a straw.' You have to say ‘one individually wrapped straw,'" Carrollton Sonic employee Taylor Kowald, 18, said. "It is a big deal."
Finalists from this round head to Las Vegas for the last challenge in the competition and a chance at the national title.
The eight SONIC Drive-In Crews are from the following locations around DFW:
- 1021 West Frankford Road, Carrollton, Texas
- 380 East Round Grove Road, Lewisville, Texas
- 3510 Grapevine Mills Parkway, Grapevine, Texas
- 1469 Highway 114, Grapevine, Texas
- 5353 Lebanon Road, Frisco, Texas
- 9265 Warren Parkway, Frisco, Texas
- 4025 Mapleshade Lane, Plano, Texas
- 1310 West McDermott, Allen, Texas