DeForest Buckner, DL, Oregon
Ht. 6'7", Wt. 291, Arm: 34 ⅜", Hand: 11 ¾", Bench: -
40 yd: 5.05, 10 yd.: 1.77, 3 Cone: 7.51, Vertical: 32", Broad: 9'8"
Games Watched: Michigan St., Washington, TCU
Defensive lineman DeForest Buckner wasted little time making an impact with Oregon, being named the Ducks' top first-year player as a freshman in 2012. His production as an uperclassman was undeniable, registering 4 sacks, 13 TFLs and 4 passes defended as a junior and 10.5 sacks, 17 TFL, 6 QB hits and 5 passes defended as a senior.
Buckner earned recognition for his stellar senior season, being named a finalist for the Hendricks Award (top defensive end), an All-America and the 2015 Pac 12 Defensive Player of the Year. Maybe more importantly, he won the Morris Trophy, which is given to the Pac 12's best lineman by opposing conference linemen.
Connecting you to your favorite North Texas sports teams as well as sports news around the globe.
• Athleticism - Explosive, quick and agile
• Length - Uses height, long arms to stay clean
• Strength - Appears to push pocket effortlessly
• Base - Can holds ground v. double teams
• Hands - Quick and heavy, sheds blockers well
• Pass Rush Moves - Good rip, swim
• Versatility - Success as 1T, 3T, 6T
• Disruptive - Lives in opposing backfields
• Pad Level - Inconsistent, can play high
• Recognition - Loses the ball at times
• Bend - Decent, but inconsistent
• Skipped Senior Bowl
Verdict: First-Round Pick
Buckner is easily the most disruptive defender I've seen so far in this young draft season. He was mainly a 5-technique in the Ducks' three-man front, but he has the potential to win in a significant role on any defense. He'll inevitably be compared to Arizona's Calais Campbell because of his size, and that comparison could prove valid.
The Cowboys probably wish Buckner had participated in the Senior Bowl so they could get a closer look at what he could do for them. He's not a great fit for the team's defensive scheme, but he'd provide a great deal of versatility if used properly. If Dallas wants to be more disruptive along the defensive line, they should draft Buckner at No. 4 — if he's still there — and find a way to fit him.