Russell Maryland is the latest in a line of past defensive greats brought in by Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett and co. to speak with the players and perhaps pass down some wisdom.
Before Maryland’s arrival, newly minted Hall of Famer Charles Haley worked with pass rushers in camp--he specifically did a lot of work with rookie defensive end Randy Gregory--and Chad Hennings, Tony Casillas and Randy White all spoke to the team at different points in the offseason.
“One of the things we try to do is provide the right examples to our players,” Garrett said, per ESPN Dallas. “We try to be the right example as coaches. That’s part of our job--to show them by how we live and how we coach and how we approach our job that this is the way to do it. But any time you can reinforce that message with other people who are really credible, we want to take advantage of that. No one better than Russell Maryland.”
Maryland, who was part of three Super Bowl Championship teams in Dallas in the 1990s, plans on sticking around throughout the rest of camp.
“It gives me pleasure to see if I can give some guy some points or some points on how to be better in the game,” Maryland said. “Then to see that guy come out here on this field and do those things I said that he should do, it’s self-gratifying.”
Dallas Cowboys 2017 Training Camp Dates:
(all times CT)
- Sat., July 22: Team Charter arrives at Pt. Mugu
- Sun., July 23: Opening press conference (1 p.m.)
- Mon., July 24: First practice - full roster (5:45 p.m.)
- Wed., Aug. 2: Team travels to Canton, Ohio
- Thurs., Aug. 3: Hall of Fame Game vs. Arizona (7 p.m.)
- Sat., Aug. 5: Jerry Jones' Hall of Fame Enshrinement
- Mon., Aug. 7: Practice Resumes (Oxnard, Calif.)
- Aug. 11-13: Dallas at Los Angeles, LA Memorial Coliseum (8 p.m.)
- Fri., Aug. 18: Break camp in Oxnard
- Sat., Aug. 19: Dallas vs. Indianapolis, AT&T Stadium (6 p.m.)
- Mon., Aug. 21-Tue. Aug. 29: Training camp resumes at The Star in Frisco
- Sat., Aug. 26: Dallas vs. Oakland, AT&T Stadium (7 p.m.)
- Thurs., Aug. 31: Dallas at Houston, NRG Stadium (7 p.m.)