Here are your Morning Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Your Western Conference All-Star Team reserves: Nicklas Lidstrom, Sheldon Souray, Dan Boyle and Shea Weber on defense; Jarome Iginla, Milan Hejduk, Rick Nash, Mike Modano, Pavel Datsyuk, Dustin Brown, Shane Doan, Keith Tkachuk and Joe Thornton up front; Roberto Luongo and Niklas Backstrom in goal. Among the notable snubs: Brian Rafalski, Dion Phaneuf, Rob Blake and Evgeni Nabokov. (Update: As someone in the chat pointed out, donde esta Mikko Koivu? As well as Devin Setoguchi?) [NHL]
• The NHL will have a hearing on Jarkko Ruutu's alleged biting of Andrew Peters of the Buffalo Sabres last night. Wonder if Bettman will opt for anger management ... oh, that's right: Ruutu only bit another man. He didn't make a sex joke. Meanwhile, CBC Sports runs down the splendid history of sports chomping, from Marc Savard to Mike Tyson. [CBC]
Connecting you to your favorite North Texas sports teams as well as sports news around the globe.
• Don't let the dropped gloves and landed punches fool you -- the following altercation between Andre Roy of the Calgary Flames and Alexei Semenov of the San Jose Sharks isn't a fight. According to the referees, it's a roughing:
Ross McKeon made the point in this morning's three stars, but how the hell do the refs hand out roughing minors to these guys just over two minutes after receiving their first pair of coincidental roughing minors? Were they unimpressed with the fight? Unwilling to allow Roy to pad his major penalty stats? What kind of a world do we live in where Andre Roy gets two for roughing after taking down Alexei Semenov with a couple of lefts, yet Brett McLean gets five for fighting because he was Sidney's inflatable punching weeble?
• Speaking of fights, check out the one-punch wonder from Ruslan Fedotenko of the Pittsburgh Penguins against Colby Armstrong of the Atlanta Thrashers. HockeyFights.com gave Ruslan the rare 100-percent voting victory for this. [YouTube]
• Puck The Media takes down Adrian Dater of the Denver Post for his work on Versus.com. Clearly, someone needs to show more 'V'. [Puck The Media]
• The San Jose Sharks prove yet again last night that they are not, in fact, indestructible. Said Dan Boyle: "I don't know if there are answers, but that was the worst period I've seen this team play all year. Just zero forecheck. Zero. No puck control. That was embarrassing." [Working the Corners]
• Alex Kovalev shares his passion for flying. Instead of, you know, diving. [NHL Video]