Here are your Evening Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
Preview: Philadelphia Flyers at Colorado Avalanche (9 p.m. EDT; TV: CSP, ALT). And we have an Andrew Raycroft sighting. The Avalanche, seeking their first win, will turn to the former Toronto Maple Leafs keeper tonight, as Rayzor takes his turn in goaltender hell. The Flyers, at 0-2-1, will try to overcome their stinky defense and inexplicably underperforming power play. You'll not likely find two teams happier about the NHL abolishing ties.
• Reviewing "Sports Soup" on Versus, and questioning if it will beat the run of that Dennis Miller show whose name escapes us. [The Big Lead]
• Jeff Z. Klein of the New York Times Slap Shot blog writes a pro-KHL column that argues we are all secretly afraid of its momentous future success. Must be Thursday. [Slap Shot]
Preview: New Jersey Devils at Atlanta Thrashers (7 p.m. EDT; TV: MSG, SS). Something tells us that even if Bobby Holik loved his time in Atlanta, the Thrashers will not be delaying the start for a number retirement ceremony this evening.
Preview: New York Islanders at Tampa Bay Lightning (7:30 p.m. EDT; TV: MSG, SUN). Marek Malik didn't have a contract today, but had Dan Boyle's old number for the Bolts. Islanders fans are just hoping they can listen to a game on the radio without getting out the tin foil.
Connecting you to your favorite North Texas sports teams as well as sports news around the globe.
• A smarty-pants, numbers-heavy look at how the Calgary Flames can win games. God we hate math. [Five Hole Fanatics]
• Speaking of the Flames, Coach Mike Keenan prefers to use a mix of Motley Crue, AC/DC and the Foo Fighters during conditioning skates. Which works much better than the Imperial March from "Empire," which is heard whenever he walks into a room. [TSN]
Preview: Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings (7:30 p.m. EDT; TV: TSN, FSD). No Henrik Zetterberg tonight, but that doesn't mean you still shouldn't check out live-bloggin' fun at A2Y. Meanwhile, the Canuckleheads at the KB chat with some Red Wings beat writers.
Preview: Minnesota Wild at Florida Panthers (7:30 p.m. EDT; TV: FSNO, FSFL). The Wild be missing several key players tonight; State of Hockey News has a in-depth preview. Can Minnesota's offense stay hot without players like Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Marian Gaborik?
• Can Joel Quenneville's defensive style mesh with young offensive stars like Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane in Chicago? [The Hockey Guy]
• Really awesome read: Should a former linemate of Mario Lemieux's be allowed to play beer league hockey? [Barstool Sports]
Preview: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins (7:30 p.m. EDT; TV: RDS, CSN, FSPI). We said all we'll say about this game earlier. Japers had more from the Capitals side of the rivalry.
Preview: Dallas Stars at St. Louis Blues (8:30 p.m. EDT; TV: FSSW, FSMW). Here's a completely underplayed story worth keeping an eye on: The resurgence of Mike Modano as a force with the Stars, thanks to the youth infusion. St. Louis Game Time has some interesting pregame coverage from the Blues' side.
• Finally, here's audio of Darren McCarty recalling the honor of being recognized by President Bush at the White House: