Kansas came into conference play as clearly the best team. They've done nothing to dispel that notion. Not that teams aren't trying.
Baylor and K-State have started strong. Texas is always hanging about. Iowa State has gotten off to a nice start. Then it starts getting dicey. The Big 12 is the second toughest major conference to get a road win with the home teams going 13-5 (.722). Only the Big East at .778 (35-10) is tougher. There's going to be a lot of teams struggling to finish 8-8 in conference. Making it difficult for any of the other teams to stay close to the Jayhawks.
- Kansas -- Actually challenged on the road by Mizzou, but still got the win. They have 2 of the 5 road wins.
- Baylor -- Off to a 3-0 conference start, the Bears have continued to be the feel-good story. They also have their next 3 road games against ranked teams.
- Texas -- Texas' defensive effort waxes and wanes. They managed to do just enough to get wins against Colorado and Oklahoma State, but they outside of D.J. Augustin and Damion Jones they have hardly looked like a top team.
- Kansas State -- They have looked really good since conference play got underway.
- Iowa State -- The good news, they have defended home court and are playing well. The bad news, the next two games are on the road at Kansas and K-State.
- Texas A&M -- Complete offensive meltdown in 3 of the last 4 halves. Looking distinctly average.
- Missouri -- The Tigers shot 5-28 on 3s and 11-22 from the free throw line in a 6 point loss to Kansas. That's going to haunt them for a while.
- Oklahoma -- Just trying to hang around until Blake Griffin is healthy.
- Oklahoma State -- It's3 straight losses and, they still haven't won a true road game since February 2006
- Texas Tech -- Bobby Knight has win number 900, if the fans in Lubbock don't care why should the rest of us?
- Colorado -- Jeff Bzdelik has the team playing smart and hard, but there isn't enough talent.
- Nebraska -- Nebraska looked improved in the non-con, but have not won in conference and are the only team with 2 home losses.
Here's how the power rankings looked last week.
Connecting you to your favorite North Texas sports teams as well as sports news around the globe.