The Cowboys have made it abundantly clear that they don’t believe Dez Bryant’s hamstring injury to be anything serious, but he didn’t participate in the Blue and White scrimmage on Sunday, he won’t practice on Monday, and he won’t participate in Thursday’s preseason opener against the Chargers in San Diego.
Bryant suffered the injury, a mild hamstring strain, during an afternoon practice session on Thursday. He remains listed as day-to-day.
“Obviously we’re not going to rush that,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said, per the Dallas Morning News. “There’s a side of this that’s good, that maybe we can get him into some better shape when he missed such a significant part of the offseason.
“There is obviously concern that was verbalized by the organization that we’re going to have to manage that situation and I think this will let him, let [athletic trainer] Britt Brown and our training staff and our strength and conditioning staff work with him and get him into even a better place.”
As Jones mentioned, Bryant missed all of the team’s offseason workouts as he waited on what turned out to be a five-year, $70 million contract. His big reunion with the team came just over a week ago when he arrived in Oxnard.
Dallas Cowboys 2017 Training Camp Dates:
(all times CT)
- Sat., July 22: Team Charter arrives at Pt. Mugu
- Sun., July 23: Opening press conference (1 p.m.)
- Mon., July 24: First practice - full roster (5:45 p.m.)
- Wed., Aug. 2: Team travels to Canton, Ohio
- Thurs., Aug. 3: Hall of Fame Game vs. Arizona (7 p.m.)
- Sat., Aug. 5: Jerry Jones' Hall of Fame Enshrinement
- Mon., Aug. 7: Practice Resumes (Oxnard, Calif.)
- Aug. 11-13: Dallas at Los Angeles, LA Memorial Coliseum (8 p.m.)
- Fri., Aug. 18: Break camp in Oxnard
- Sat., Aug. 19: Dallas vs. Indianapolis, AT&T Stadium (6 p.m.)
- Mon., Aug. 21-Tue. Aug. 29: Training camp resumes at The Star in Frisco
- Sat., Aug. 26: Dallas vs. Oakland, AT&T Stadium (7 p.m.)
- Thurs., Aug. 31: Dallas at Houston, NRG Stadium (7 p.m.)