In the aftermath of Orlando Scandrick’s season-ending knee injury, it only makes sense that the Dallas Cowboys would turn to Tyler Patmon, a second-year corner who has reminded the team of Scandrick in his year and change in Dallas.
“He has a lot of the same kind of traits that Orlando has,” head coach Jason Garrett said, per Todd Archer of ESPN Dallas. “His strengths are the instinctive way he plays, his ability to make plays, just has a good feel for the game. He’s a great competitor, he’s feisty, he fights, he battles and scratches and claws, so we’re going to give him an opportunity in there first.”
An Oklahoma State product, Patmon came to the Cowboys on a mini-camp invite last May and showed the staff enough to earn a contract. He went on to appear in 11 games and record eight tackles and an interception, which he returned 58 yards for a touchdown.
“He came in here and about halfway through the first practice we looked at each other and we said, ‘We like that guy,’” Garrett said. “You start figuring out ways, 'OK, he’s better than that one who we signed so let’s get rid of him and let’s give this guy a chance.' So he’s had that feistiness, he’s had those playmaking traits really from Day One since he’s been with us and I think he’s just getting better and better.”
Patmon himself has noticed the similarities between he and Scandrick.
“Coming on this team, it was me and Orlando had the most similarities out of anybody else, any corners on the team,” Patmon said. “I definitely watched him a lot last year, watched him a lot this year and learned a lot from him of how to play in there.”
Dallas Cowboys 2017 Training Camp Dates:
(all times CT)
- Sat., July 22: Team Charter arrives at Pt. Mugu
- Sun., July 23: Opening press conference (1 p.m.)
- Mon., July 24: First practice - full roster (5:45 p.m.)
- Wed., Aug. 2: Team travels to Canton, Ohio
- Thurs., Aug. 3: Hall of Fame Game vs. Arizona (7 p.m.)
- Sat., Aug. 5: Jerry Jones' Hall of Fame Enshrinement
- Mon., Aug. 7: Practice Resumes (Oxnard, Calif.)
- Aug. 11-13: Dallas at Los Angeles, LA Memorial Coliseum (8 p.m.)
- Fri., Aug. 18: Break camp in Oxnard
- Sat., Aug. 19: Dallas vs. Indianapolis, AT&T Stadium (6 p.m.)
- Mon., Aug. 21-Tue. Aug. 29: Training camp resumes at The Star in Frisco
- Sat., Aug. 26: Dallas vs. Oakland, AT&T Stadium (7 p.m.)
- Thurs., Aug. 31: Dallas at Houston, NRG Stadium (7 p.m.)