Cowboys linebacker Anthony Hitchens appeared briefly in the team’s preseason opener against the Chargers in San Diego, recording a single tackle, but it looks like that’ll be all the action the second-year Iowa product sees this preseason.
Hitchens, the most likely candidate to start the season at middle linebacker with Rolando McClain suspended for the first four games, bruised his foot two days after that preseason opener and has been out ever since.
He was held out of last Sunday’s matchup with the 49ers and until recently, he had been in a walking boot.
Now it’s thought Hitchens won’t return to practice until after the preseason finale.
“I’m just getting my foot better, doing what they’re telling me to do,” Hitchens said, per the Dallas Morning News. “I’m doing a lot better than last week. That’s all that matters.
“I’m just trying to get the mental reps. I’m still watching film with the guys, just trying to get better in a different way. It may not be out there on the field but get better in the film room, get stronger in the weight room and get the mental reps.”
Dallas Cowboys 2017 Training Camp Dates:
(all times CT)
- Sat., July 22: Team Charter arrives at Pt. Mugu
- Sun., July 23: Opening press conference (1 p.m.)
- Mon., July 24: First practice - full roster (5:45 p.m.)
- Wed., Aug. 2: Team travels to Canton, Ohio
- Thurs., Aug. 3: Hall of Fame Game vs. Arizona (7 p.m.)
- Sat., Aug. 5: Jerry Jones' Hall of Fame Enshrinement
- Mon., Aug. 7: Practice Resumes (Oxnard, Calif.)
- Aug. 11-13: Dallas at Los Angeles, LA Memorial Coliseum (8 p.m.)
- Fri., Aug. 18: Break camp in Oxnard
- Sat., Aug. 19: Dallas vs. Indianapolis, AT&T Stadium (6 p.m.)
- Mon., Aug. 21-Tue. Aug. 29: Training camp resumes at The Star in Frisco
- Sat., Aug. 26: Dallas vs. Oakland, AT&T Stadium (7 p.m.)
- Thurs., Aug. 31: Dallas at Houston, NRG Stadium (7 p.m.)