In a weekly post, we'll take a look around the AL West — what's happened so far, and what's on tap in the coming days.
1. Texas Rangers (36-23) — Despite a loss on Wednesday — their first in nine games against Houston this year — the Rangers are still 8-2 in their last 10 games and are the hottest team in the division, and possibly the American League. Here's one thing for certain: They have the best record in the AL through two months of play. Next up: Today, 1:05 p.m., vs. Houston Astros.
2. Seattle Mariners (33-26) — The Mariners are very much for real and appear to be the team most likely to push the Rangers in the division. The offense is one of the best in the game with several imposing hitters in the lineup. And Felix Hernandez is currently on the disabled list. Next up: Tonight, 9:10 p.m., vs. Cleveland Indians.
3. Houston Astros (29-32) — The Astros are finally starting to heat up and have won seven of their last 10 games, but there are still some concerns — most notably in the starting rotation. We've said for a while now that you couldn't count them out, and now they're starting to show it. Next up: Today, 1:05 p.m., at Texas Rangers.
Connecting you to your favorite North Texas sports teams as well as sports news around the globe.
4. Los Angeles Angels (26-33) — The Angels are just not very good, and we can all take solace in that. They've lost three straight and are looking a sweep in the face as they end a series in The Bronx tonight. Next up: Tonight, 6:05 p.m., at New York Yankees.
5. Oakland Athletics (25-34) — The A's are fighting, but they're still just not very good. Really not much else to say here. Next up: Friday, 6:10 p.m., at Cincinnati Reds.