The Cowboys had a wild and crazy weekend. From Dez Bryant’s controversial tweets to players doing yoga to warm their bodies before Saturday’s first padded practice to owner Jerry Jones saying these Cowboys reminded him of the 1992 team that won the Super Bowl because they’re so young. Sean Lee is the only non-specialist older than 30.
Here’s are some thoughts from the Cowboys’ weekend at training camp:
• The NFL has ordered Jerry Jones to stop talking about social justice protests during the national anthem. Jones said last week players for the Cowboys would stand for the national anthem no matter what policy the NFL implements.
• Running back Ezekiel Elliott is drawing praise from every facet of the organization. He’s in good shape, mentally and physically, he’s practicing at a high level and he’s showing some leadership traits that has the organization excited.
• Tyrone Crawford addressed the team Friday and implored them not to be distracted by the chatter surrounding the team whether it’s social justice protests or tweets from Dez Bryant.
• Linebacker Jaylon Smith said he feels as good physically as he did at Notre Dame three years after a traumatic knee knee injury. The Cowboys anticipate using him much more as an inside blitzer this year, and they need him to be a play-maker.
• Randy Gregory hasn’t practiced yet, but he’s smiling quite bit and his demeanor seems beyond upbeat. He’s missed much of the last two years after violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, but the Cowboys hope he can help them with the pass rush at some point this season.
• Cole Beasley has been making a lot of catches and plays as an outside receiver. He’s played almost exclusively in the slot since joining the team.
• Second round pick Conner Williams has done a nice job during pass protection drills.
• Safety Kavon Austin still hasn’t received the results from the tests he had done last week to determine why his blood wasn’t properly clotting. He expects to practice as soon as he gets the results.
• Cedrick Wilson, a sixth-round pick, will miss several days after his shoulder popped out the joint. It’s an issue he had at Boise St. He was going to have a tough time making the team before this setback.
• Tight end Rico Gathers looks slow and he’s always the fourth name out of any coach or executive’s mouth when the topic is tight ends. He’s going to have a hard time making this team.