Here are 10 thoughts on the Rams’ 35-30 win over the Cowboys.
• The Rams seemed to really isolate and expose Jaylon Smith in pass coverage. Remember this, Smith was supposed to spend this season primarily as a run-stopper on first and second down. Still, the Rams took advantage of him for several completions.
• The Cowboys must figure out a way to make Cole Beasley a bigger part of the offense because he’s the guy who helps convert on third down. Right now, he has 11 catches for 86 yards with 25 percent of the season gone.
Connecting you to your favorite North Texas sports teams as well as sports news around the globe.
• Play-Caller Scott Linehan clearly likes rookie receiver Ryan Switzer. He’s starting to use him more often on offense. It’s only a matter of time before he makes a big play in the offense.
• Dak Prescott had a passer rating of 93.8 with 252 yards and three touchdowns, and he still played a big role in the loss. Prescott’s accuracy must improve for this offense to take off.
• Ezekiel Elliott had a good game with 85 yards on 21 carries, but he didn’t dominate. Last year, he dominated and the Cowboys’ rode their running game to 13 wins and the best record in the NFC.
• DeMarcus Lawrence had a sack, a tackle for loss and a forced fumble, but one time he had to deal with a tackle, running back and tight end. Not enough defensive linemen made plays. Lawrence has gotta get consistent help if he’s gonna draw that much attention.
• Backup safety Xavier Woods should be getting more playing time. Jeff Heath knows more, but Woods is making a move fast.
• Anthony Brown has developed into a play-maker, but he mistimed his jump and missed an easy interception in the fourth quarter that could’ve changed the game’s complexion.
• Wade Phillips, the Rams’ defensive coordinator, handed it to Jason Garrett in the second half. His unit shut down the Cowboys’ offense in the second half, yielding one touchdown drive in six possessions.
• Dez Bryant had five catches for 98 yards, but Prescott threw 13 passes in his direction. That catch percentage is still bad.