Madonna’s split with film director Guy Ritchie has become one of the most costly celebrity divorces of all time.
Earlier this week, Madonna’s longtime publicist, Liz Rosenberg, revealed to the Associated Press that Madonna was to give Ritchie between 50 and 60 million pounds ($76 million to $92 million) as part of their divorce agreement, with the figure including the value of the couple’s country home, Ashcombe.
U.S. & World
While Madonna’s split with her husband of eight years was a costly one, there are a number of stars who paid out a lot more.
10. Michael Douglas’s marriage to Diandra Douglas ended in 2000 and wound up being quite an expensive “Attraction.” When the couple decided to split after 23 years, Diandra walked away with $45 million.
9. Phil Collins’ divorce from Orianne Cevey, a Swiss-born woman 22 years his junior, in 2008 landed him the ninth most expensive celebrity divorce rank. The marriage, which lasted six years and produced two children, ended with Collins paying Cevey $46.76 million.
8. Paul McCartney called it a day with Heather Mills in 2006 after four years of marriage, but it took until the fall of 2008 for the former Beatle and the charity campaigner to hammer out the details of their divorce. In the end, McCartney’s lawyer, Fiona Shackleton, was doused with water by Mills as the one time “Dancing With the Stars” contestant walked away with $48.6 million of McCartney’s money.
7. “Titanic” was a movie of epic proportions and is still the biggest grossing box office movie of all time, so it almost goes without saying that when its director, James Cameron, and his actress wife, Linda Hamilton, went their separate ways in 1999, she got a piece of the hull. The two-year marriage (though the couple’s relationship goes back to 1991) ended with a settlement for Hamilton in the form of $50 million.
6. Depending on fluxuating currency markets, Madonna’s split with Guy Ritchie, at the very least, places her split sixth on the list of Hollywood’s most expensive divorces. Her rep called the split, which cost Madonna at least $76 million, “one of the largest payouts ever in a divorce settlement.”
5. Kevin Coster and Cindy Silva were married for 16 years, between 1978 and 1994, but their split was anything but sweet for the actor. Silva left the marriage with $80 million.
4. Harrison Ford spent the 1980s and 1990s with wife Melissa Mathison, but the couple decided to call it quit after 21 years together in 2004. Mathison walked away with $85 million, and according to Forbes, a cut of Harrison’s future earnings for the movies he made while they were still married, which included two “Star Wars” films and three “Indiana Jones” movies, plus many more.
3. Steven Spielberg’s split with wife of just four years, Amy Irving, in 1989 proved to be quite costly for the filmmaker. Though the couple had a pre-nup, Irving was able to challenge it, according to USA Today, and Spielberg paid out $100 million, making their split the third biggest pay out in celebrity history.
2. Neil Diamond was singing a “Song Sung Blue” for his split with Marcia Murphey. The two wed in 1969 and spent 27 years together, but at the end of it, he paid out $150 million, or roughly $5.5 million for each year they were together.
1. According to both USA Today and Forbes, basketball legend Michael Jordan made the largest payout ever in a celebrity divorce — to his ex-wife Juanita. The former Chicago Bulls star was forced to pay out $168 million to Juanita for their 18-year marriage, which they finalized the split on in 2007.
Related Content from AccessHollywood.com:
PLAY IT NOW: T.G.I.F. - Madonna & Guy Reach Divorce Settlement?
PLAY IT NOW: AUDIO: Carlos Leon On Madonna’s Divorce (Oct. 15, 2008)