There's been a shake-up at "X Factor" — with some unlikely casualties.
Neither the show's host Steve Jones nor judge Nicole Scherzinger nor even Paula Abdul, a long-time friend of the show's creator Simon Cowell, will be returning for the second season, according to reports.
A spokeswoman for Fox confirmed to The Associated Press Monday that Scherzinger and Jones were out, and E! Online reported later Monday night that Abdul had been let go, too.
U.S. & World
"Simon wants to take the show in a different direction," one source told the site.
"At this point, the only ones staying are Simon and L.A. Reid," another said.
Earlier in the day, Jones had tweeted news of his departure: "I won't be hosting next seasons XFactor which is a shame but I cant complain as I've had a great time. Good luck to everyone on the show."
Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly had given a not-so-subtle hint earlier this month that Jones' first season as host might be his last.
"There will be some changes... as we know [hosting] is a much harder job than meets the eye," he said at an early January press event, according to E! Online. "I think everybody has come to see the value of Ryan Seacrest. Whether Steve is the guy or not, it comes under the heading of growth in general."
Jones' manager told E! that the split was amicable.
"Steve loved doing the show and loved the cast and crew, Fremantle and Fox."
"I don't think he did a bad job," he said. "But... there is a Brit limit on the show."