It seems Flamin' Hot Cheetos are as "Dangerously Cheesy" as the slogan warns.
Rapper Lil Xan told his Instagram followers on Tuesday that eating the Frito-Lay snack sent him to the hospital.
"I just want to let everybody know I was in the hospital not due to any drugs, but I guess I ate too many Hot Cheetos," Lil Xan said in a video posted on his account. "It ripped something in my stomach open, so I puked a little blood.”
A spokeswoman for Frito-Lay said in a statement that "Flamin’ Hot Cheetos meet all applicable food safety regulations, as well as our rigorous quality standards," but the company is aware that "some consumers may be more sensitive to spicy foods than others" and suggests that they "may choose to moderate consumption or avoid spicier snacks due to personal preference."
The spicy snack has a long history of causing similar reactions in those who consume more Cheetos than their stomachs can handle.
U.S. & World
Some doctors have warned its spicy flavoring can cause everything from gastritis to ulcers.
Schools in California, Illinois and New Mexico also reportedly banned Hot Cheetos, citing the snack’s lack of nutritional value.
Dr. Partha Nandi, a Michigan gastroenterologist, described the cause of the gastrointestinal symptoms to NBC affiliate station WGBA-TV.
“These kids are eating them and their having a lot of pain,” Nandi said. “It’s because of the amount of acid is more than the stomach and also the esophagus can handle.”
[NATL] Top Entertainment Photos: Best of the American Music Awards, and More
Lil Xan insisted he was “healthier” than he has “ever been” and he’s ready to headline the Monster Energy Outbreak tour, which kicks off in New York City Wednesday night at Irving Plaza.
“Also, be careful, Hot Cheetos are one hell of a drug,” Lil Xan added.