Jason Parker

Florida Couple Injured After Barbeque Grill in SUV Explodes When Woman Lights up Cigarette

The woman lit a cigarette and moments later the grill exploded, police said

Cig Ignites Gas Grill Damage
Orlando Police Dept.

A Florida couple was burned when the woman lit a cigarette, sparking an explosion of a propane barbecue grill being transported in their SUV.

Orlando police Lt. Cindy Lane tells NBC affiliate WESH that the grill was turned on and the propane tank was open in the back of the red Kia Sorento as they left a barbecue at the Central Florida Fairgrounds on Sunday afternoon.

The woman lit a cigarette and moments later the grill exploded, Lane said. The blast caused the driver to crash into a pole.  

Orlando Police Dept.

Lane says the woman and her husband were burned and their sports utility vehicle was severely damaged. The couple's injuries are not considered to be life-threatening.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us