Family Hospitalized After Eating Unknown Plant in Backyard During Party
A spokesperson from the Walter Andersen Nursery told NBC 7 the plant was Nicotina glauca, also known as tree tobacco
At least eight family members were taken to the hospital after reporting feeling sick from eating an unknown plant from a garden at a home in the Bay Terraces neighborhood in San Diego, California.
San Diego Fire-Rescue Department Battalion Chief Salaz told NBC 7 the family were having a party on Mesa Park Lane and ate something that wasn't food.
The people affected ranged in age from 15 to 80 years old.
U.S. & World
Some of the children at the home reported feeling sick. Another child at a home nearby, who was at the party before, also called 911 reporting similar symptoms.
Chief Salaz said there was no malicious intent involved and the children thought what they were eating was safe.
A spokesperson from the Walter Andersen Nursery told NBC 7 the plant was Nicotina glauca, also known as tree tobacco, which is very toxic and considered an invasive species.
Four patients were taken to Scripps Chula Vista, two were transported to Rady Children's Hospital, and two went to Paradise Valley Hospital, according to SDFD.
All family members were released from the hospital Friday night, officials confirmed.
No other information was available.
Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.