Fifth Anniversary of DACA Deportation Protections Marked by Fear of Its End - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Fifth Anniversary of DACA Deportation Protections Marked by Fear of Its End

In five years, about 800,000 people have been granted deportation protections under the Obama administration program

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Busloads of teens from Connecticut area heading the White House for a rally to defend the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, a program created under the Obama administration that the Trump administration threatened to remove. (Published Tuesday, Aug. 15, 2017)

    Immigrant rights groups and allies are marking the fifth anniversary of protections for young immigrants with rallies and demonstrations Tuesday, as the future of an Obama-era program remains uncertain under the Trump administration, NBC News reports.

    On Aug. 15, 2012, the Obama administration began accepting applications for the deportation relief and work permission program, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA. In five years, about 800,000 people have been granted DACA, which must be renewed every two years.

    Texas and nine other states have set a Sept. 5 deadline for the president to end DACA, threatening to take the administration to court unless the program comes to an end.

    Despite his tough stance on immigration, President Donald Trump said he would help DACA recipients. However, when White House chief of staff John Kelly was as homeland security secretary, he told members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus last month that the administration would not commit to defending the program.

    Kelly 'Stunned' by Rep.'s Criticism of Trump's Call to Widow

    [NATL] John Kelly 'Stunned' by Congresswoman's Criticism of Trump's Call to Fallen Soldier's Family

    White House chief of staff John Kelly said Thursday he was "stunned" and "broken hearted" by a Florida congresswoman woman's criticism of President Donald Trump's phone call to one of the families of Americans killed in Niger nearly two weeks ago.

    (Published Thursday, Oct. 19, 2017)