Federal, state and local authorities busted a cockfighting ring run out of an auto dealership in East Windsor, Connecticut, on Sunday morning after a lengthy criminal investigation into illegal gambling.
About 45 people have been arrested and charged with at least 54 counts of animal cruelty and one count of professional gambling after they were located at the cockfighting site, state police said.
When troopers arrived at 248 South Main Street (Route 5) to execute a search and seizure warrant, 108 people were at the sceneI and investigators said they expect up to 68 more arrests. The address is listed as JM Auto Sales on yellowpages.com.
The operation involved 54 birds fighting overall, but four roosters were killed by the time authorities raided the auto dealership.
The following people were arrested:
- Javier Carruncini, 43, of Springfield, Massachusetts
- Leocadio Diaz Lopez, 39, of Orlando, Florida
- Juan Arce, 48, of East Hartford
- Lavi R. Amaro, 56, of New York, New York
- Edgardo Lopez, 31, of Sprinfield, MA
- Pedro Carrasquillo, 32, of Bronx, NY
- Ivan Torres, 43, of Springfield, MA
- Luis M. Torres, 32, of Sprinfield, MA
- Lionel Rodriguez, 57, of Waterbury
- Eliud Rodriguez, 34, of Waterbury
- Carlos Negron, 45, Waterbury
- Carlos Garcia, 43, of Springfield, MA
- Luis Martinez, 28, of Springfield, MA
- Brandon Quiles, 31, of Hartford
- Rigoberto Taveras-Paulino, 42, of Bronx, NY
- Richard Mercado, 34, of Hartford
- Dionisio Serrano, 59, of Kissimee, Florida
- Cesar Ventura Marquez, 44, of Hartford
- Eric Ortiz, 33, of Hartford
- Angel E. Villaneueva, 25, of Westfield, MA
- Jorge R. Martinez, 42, of Fitchburg, MA
- Unnamed 16-year-old
- Jose Garcia Abreu, 44, of Bronx, NY
- Eric Baez, 39, of New Britain
- Jobet Fernandez, 33, of Hartford
- Angel M. Rivera, 32, of Hartford
- Ismael Barbosa, 32, of New Britain
- Anthony Montesino, 25, of Bronx, NY
- Alberto R. Minaya, 53, of Bronx, NY
- Bradley Gonzalez-Santini, 34, of Hartford
- Jose A. Gonzalez, 29, of Hartford
- Fernando Santiago, 36, of Wethersfield
- Felipe Almonte, 44, of Springfield, MA
- Jose Munoz, 37, of Waterbury
- Luis Morales, 19, of Bronx, NY
- Danielito Morales, 38, Bronx, NY
- Ubaldino Jimenez, 56, of Bronx, NY
- Juan Santos, 30, of New Britain
- Daniel Martinez, 45, of New London
- Eusebio Diaz, 46, of Bridgeport
- Juan Mejias, 34, of Springfield, MA
- Alexander Rodriguez-Diaz, 28, of Waterbury
- Jose Soto, 52, of Bronx, NY
- Dennis Martinez, 36, of East Hartford
- Javier A. Carrucini, 43, of Springfield, MA
State agricultural employees have taken custody of the remaining 49 birds and state police have seized $100,000 in gambling proceeds, as well as a firearm, records and "implements of cockfighting" while searching the property.
Everyone arrested was released on bonds and will appear in Enfield Superior Court. The names of the individuals arrested have not been released.
State police detectives, troopers, organized crime task force members and tactical team members, state Department of Corrections, state agriculture department and East Windsor police worked together to execute the seawrch and seizure warrant.