Video Withheld in Dallas County Jail Death Investigation

Relatives and protesters of a free man who died after a visit to the Dallas County Jail lobby demanded answers from the Sheriff’s Department - by marching right up to the doorsteps of Lew Sterrett Jail Friday night.

But it did not stop there.

They continued their protest inside the lobby where 48-year-old Joseph Hutcheson was restrained by deputies and later died August 1.

Since then, six employees at the jail were placed on restrictive duty.

“I want justice for my brother. You know?” said James Hutcheson. “I want the people who did this to answer for what has happened.”

The protesters came looking for answers, but were only greeted by deputies in riot gear.

The protest was peacefully led back outside.

Their voices were loud and clear that they wanted answers about what happened to Hutcheson.

“Something happened,” said Nicol Hutcheson, Joseph’s wife. “We don't know what. We want to figure it out. We want to know. We want answers. And if releasing the video tape is the answers we need then let’s get it done.”

Officials claim Hutcheson was arrested after he frantically came into the jail lobby. Witnesses say he was screaming for help.

Two weeks later and the sheriff's office still will not release video of the incident leaving Hutcheson's family in frustration.

“I want to know the truth,” said Ruth Boatner, Hutcheson’s mother. “I want to see the tapes.”

The family says the Dallas County Medical Examiner removed organs from Hutcheson’s neck without their permission.

Now the family is calling for the removal of Sheriff Lupe Valdez from office.

“Somebody’s got to have their day in court,” said Hutcheson’s brother. “Justice needs to be served. You know, what’s next?”

With the investigation ongoing, anyone with information on the incident is urged to call the Dallas County Sheriff’s Department Criminal Investigations Section at 214-653-3489 or 214-653-3490.

NBC 5's Frank Heinz and Ken Kalthoff contributed to this report.

Contact Us