2 Shot, 1 Killed After Fight at Marti Van Ravenswaay Park in Arlington

Suspected gunman held on $350,000 bond

Arlington police have arrested one man after two people were shot, one fatally, in a city park overnight Thursday.

Police said 25-year-old Deaudrick Jewuane Clayton was arrested Friday afternoon after multiple witnesses to a shooting identified him as the gunman.

In an arrest warrant affidavit released Friday, police said Clayton got into a fight with his girlfriend, Keirra Dupree.  Dupree then called her friend Brook Robertson for a ride.  When Robertson arrived at Clayton's apartment, words were exchanged between Clayton and Robertson that ultimately ended with Clayton using disparaging language toward the woman.

Robertson left and told her boyfriend, Brince Shaw, about the name calling. Shaw then became upset, according to the affidavit.

A short time later Robertson was on the phone with Dupree when Clayton grabbed the phone.  Robertson then handed the phone to Shaw. As Clayton and Shaw, and his friend Timothy Pickens, all exchanged verbal blows, they agreed to ultimately meet at Clayton's residence to fight.

Shaw and Pickens arrived at the residence, but Clayton's mother, upon learning of the fight, said she was calling the police. Shaw and Pickens left; Clayton continued calling, asking for the fight, the affidavit said. The group then agreed to meet at nearby Marti Van Ravenswaay Park.

When Shaw and Pickens arrived, they parked on the back side of the park and walked toward the main parking lot where Robertson could be seen talking to someone in a parked car. The affidavit said as soon as Shaw and Pickens were visible to the person in the car, flashes of light were visible from the passenger side.

Shaw and Pickens, both shot, were transported to the Medical Center of Arlington where Shaw was pronounced dead. Pickens was treated for a gunshot wound and is expected to survive.

Pickens would later tell police that as he and Shaw came into sight of the passenger side of the vehicle, Shaw yelled out, "gun" and pushed Pickens out of the way.  Pickens then recalls the flashes of light and hearing the gunfire.

Pickens would later recall that he ran and only then realized he'd been shot and that Shaw was not behind him. He then turned around to go back to his friend and found him on the ground, the affidavit said.

Clayton is being held in the Arlington City Jail on a murder charge with bail set at $300,000. He is also being held on an aggravated assault charge for shooting Pickens; bail on that charge is set at $50,000.

The shooting was one of several unconnected shootings reported overnight across the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

NBC 5's Tim Ciesco contributed to this report.

Contact Us