Fried PB&J from “Fry King” Abel Gonzales, Jr.
Creamy peanut butter
Vegetable or corn oil for frying
Deep pot for frying or a fryer
Thermometer that measures to 375 degrees
Assemble PBJ sandwiches and freeze overnight
Day of Preparation:
- Heat oil in pot to 375 degrees
- Prepare pancake mix with batter slightly thicker than needed for pancakes
- Dunk frozen PBJ sandwiches into batter and cover in a thick coat
- Using tongs, place coated sandwich in hot oil
- Fry on one side until golden, then flip
- Put fried sandwich on a plate with paper towels
- Move to cutting board and slice diagonally
- Rest four triangles on a serving plate, crust side down
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar
- Squeeze another layer of jelly on top of sandwiches
- Eat and enjoy!
"Fry King" Abel Gonzales, Jr. is part of the lineup for Big Tex Cooking School . His episode showing how to make Fried PB&J and Fried Pizza debuts on Monday, Sept. 28.
The latest news from around North Texas.
Don’t want to try it at home? Get your fried food favorites at Gonzales’ new restaurant, Cocina Italiano, 7101 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas.