Police Arrest Suspected Burglar Who Fired at Police after Chase, Standoff

After an hourslong standoff Tuesday morning, Richardson police arrested a man suspected of breaking into a Lamborghini dealership, firing at officers, then leading them on two separate chases along U.S. Highway 75. [[416693023,C]]

Police said it all began around 2:15 a.m., when one of their officers went to check out an alarm sounding at the Lamborghini Dallas dealership along South Central Expressway.

The officer found a person inside and ordered him to come out. Instead, police said, the man pulled out a gun and began firing at the officer.

Police said the officer returned fire, but it does not appear either man was hit.

The man then jumped into an Infiniti QX4 SUV and sped away north on U.S. Highway 75.

Other officers began to pursue him. Police said they were able to deploy spike sticks, which took out two of the SUV's tires and brought the driver to a stop in McKinney near U.S. Highway 380.

Richardson police brought in their SWAT team to negotiate with the man and get him out of the vehicle.

The highway was shut down in both directions while they worked.

When it became clear to officers that the man was not going to surrender, they deployed several pepper spray rounds into his vehicle. When that happened, he sped off again.

Police chased him to the Van Alstyne area, where he came to a stop near the Collin and Grayson county lines.

The highway was once again shut down in both directions while Richardson SWAT resumed negotiations with the man.

Police said this time, they brought in Frisco SWAT to help -- and the two departments positioned their armored vehicles in front of and behind the SUV so the man could not drive away.

The driver refused to cooperate with them for nearly two hours. Police said at that point, the decision was made to fire less-lethal bean bag rounds at him. When that still didn't work, an officer fired his taser through the passenger side window -- and other officers pulled the man out and put him on the ground.

"They didn't want to get to the point where they had to get up close enough to that vehicle where one of our officers could have been shot -- or if he would have made some type of movement that might have led the officers to have to shoot him," said Sgt. Kevin Perlich, spokesperson for the Richardson Police Department. "So that's the reason they stayed off as long as they possibly could."

Perlich said the man was taken to the hospital for treatment.


Perlich also said the SUV he was driving was reported stolen out of Tarrant County.

"We're extremely happy with the way this played out," said Perlich. "None of the officers were hurt, our suspect -- for the most part -- he's going to be okay. No civilians were hurt. There was a minimal amount of property damage was done. All in all, I would say it's been a pretty good morning."

Police said a standoff is over after SWAT officers detained a person suspected of burglarizing a Richardson Lamborghini dealership fired at officers and led them on a chase on U.S. 75 Tuesday morning.
Contact Us