Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss
Ht. 6'5", Wt. 310, Arm: 34 ¼", Hand: 10", Bench: -
40 yd: -, 10 yd.: -, 3 Cone: -, Vertical: -, Broad: -
Games Watched: Texas A&M, Auburn, Oklahoma St.
As a 5-star recruit out of Florida, Laremy Tunsil picked Ole Miss over just about every SEC school. He played in 12 games as a true freshman in 2013, allowing only one sack on the season. He became one of the school's first players to be named all-conference as a freshman.
Tunsil leaves Ole Miss having been named second-team All-America as many times as sacks he gave up (two). He was arrested for reportedly assaulting his stepfather last June and later served a seven-game suspension based on his stepfather's allegations that he received improper benefits during recruitment.
The latest news from around North Texas.
• Ideal Size - Can't draw up a more perfect offensive tackle
• Athleticism - Quickness and agility more like a tight end
• Elite Run Blocking - Good power, leverage
• Hand Use - Quick, heavy, good placement
• Mirrors - Exceptional lateral movement
• Second-Level - Targets, neutralizes linebackers
• Nasty demeanor - Aggressive, seeks contact
• Disciplined - Knows job, not fooled by twists, stunts
• Kickslide - Inefficient in reverse, could struggle against speed*
• Balance - Can gets upright in pass protection
• Off-Field Issues - Teams must investigate arrests, suspensions
• Durability - Missed time with three different injuries in two seasons
Verdict: First-Round Pick
Tunsil unquestionably has elite upside, which he showed when he basically erased Texas A&M edge rusher Myles Garrett, who looks like he could have been in play for the first overall pick in this draft if he were eligible. He reminds me a bit of current Cowboy La'El Collins as an elite run blocker who needs to improve — yet has the athleticism to do so — as a pass blocker.
The offensive line is a strength for the Cowboys, so it might not make much sense to spend a first-round pick on in that area. I wouldn't take Tunsil at No. 4 if I were Dallas anyway, though, because there are already four players above him on my big board for the team. It might not matter anyway, as the Tennessee Titans are rumored to be leaning toward him with the first overall pick.
*Looked much better in drills at the NFL Scouting Combine.