After a flurry of applications forced a North Texas agency to close a storm shelter rebate program, a new waiting list for applicants in multiple counties is rolling out.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments will open an online wait list for Safe Room program rebates June 21-30.
All 16 counties in the NCTCOG region will have wait lists open in a rolled-out schedule. Once a wait list has been opened for a specific county, it will not close.
The latest news from around North Texas.
To be placed on the wait list, applicants will need to provide their name and address at www.nctsaferoom.com once the wait list for their county opens.
Those without Internet access can call 817-695-9235 and leave a voice mail with their name, phone number, address and county. All submissions online or via phone will have a time and date stamp, the NCTCOG said.
Here is the list of each county's open date and time:
- Collin County: Friday, June 21 at 7 p.m.
- Dallas County: Saturday, June 22 at 8 a.m.
- Denton County: Sunday, June 23 at 8 a.m.
- Ellis County: Monday, June 24 at 7 p.m.
- Erath County: Monday, June 24 at 7 p.m.
- Hood County: Tuesday, June 25 at 7 p.m.
- Hunt County: Tuesday, June 25 at 7 p.m.
- Johnson County: Wednesday, June 26 at 7 p.m.
- Kaufman County: Wednesday, June 26 at 7 p.m.
- Navarro County: Thursday, June 27 at 7 p.m.
- Palo Pinto County: Thursday, June 27 at 7 p.m.
- Parker County: Friday, June 28 at 7 p.m.
- Rockwall County: Friday, June 28 at 7 p.m.
- Somervell County: Saturday, June 29 at 8 a.m.
- Wise County: Saturday, June 29 at 8 a.m.
- Tarrant County: Sunday, June 30 at 8 a.m.
Safe room rebate program officials said the wait lists will help the NCTCOG assess demand for the program and allow them to communicate the need to federal funding sources.
The NCTCOG said the safe room program is not retroactive, meaning applicants must be approved before installing a storm shelter.
Those who have already applied to the safe room program will be notified that their application has been received and do not need to apply again. The NCTCOG will contact applicants who join the wait list after the program receives additional funding. Organizers say the process could take three to 18 months.
The rebate program offers residents living or developing in North Texas counties a chance to qualify for half the cost of construction for an individual safe room, up to $3,000. But the rooms must be from a vendor approved by the National Storm Shelter Association or the American Tornado Shelter Association to qualify for reimbursement.